[Wien] Quantum dot with Wien2k code

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Wed Aug 7 09:15:51 CEST 2013

> I am starting to test the quantum dot with Wien2k code.
> firstly i generate the structure of GaN Quantum dot with supercell 2*2*2
> and the vacum 500bohr in 3 direction.

500 bohr is enormous...! Remember that vacuum is expensive in a LAPW
code (and in a plane wave code as well). The basis functions are defined
over all space, even if there are no atoms there. Your cell with vacuum
will take about the same amount of calculation time as the same cell
filled with atoms. With 500 bohr of vacuum, your cell is equivalent in
size to one that contains 1 million (!) atoms -- larger than anyone ever
tried with DFT. I hope you have the fastest supercomputer in the world ;-)

Either you have to use much less vacuum (at the price of introducing
spurious interactions between the dots) or you switch to a code with a
localized basis set, where vacuum is cheap.

Stefaan