[Wien] berryphase

Sheikh Jamil Ahmed sahmed5 at lakeheadu.ca
Thu Dec 5 21:49:18 CET 2013

Hello Shahrbano,

I also agree with Dr. Rubel that this fraction of discrepancy that you are
getting is probably due to the fact we made this tutorial on Wien2k version
11.0.

Regarding the forces for optimizing the structure, I always try to optimize
my structure to a much lower value (0.2 mRy/bohr) of forces. However, this
doesn't make much of a difference to the final result though. Compared to
the optimized structure with default force tolerance  (2 mRy/bohr), the
atomic positions varies only in fourth or fifth decimal places which might
change your polarization by 0.1 to 1 % (like you are getting). This is
negligible if you are consistent when comparing properties between two
calculations. Either use 2 mRy/bohr for both the cases or 0.2 mRy/bohr.

Also you can try to understand more about modern theory of polarization
from here
http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~dhv/pubs/local_preprint/dv_fchap.pdf

Hope that helps.

Sheikh