[Wien] Slab symmetry with SOC

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Dec 13 11:22:27 CET 2013

For a spin-polarized case you should use init_so and the program
symmetso.  Symmetso should give you the proper symmetries and one should
use the struct file produced by symmetso. There should be a
classification of each of the symmetry operations of the non-so case
according to A, B or none.

I can hardly comment on a specific feature without doing the slab myself.

Please have a look into the lecture notes about spin-orbit coupling and
the reduction of symmetry due to so (from our web-site). There is a plot
and table for a small specific example.

Hwoever, note two remarks:   sgroup is completely irrelevant for this
(as it does not know about spin-orbit).

symmetso is obviously not as much tested as sgroup or symmetry. So be
sure to use the latest version.
If you have doubts about symmetso, I need the struct file and the
specific concerns.