[Wien] Slab symmetry with SOC

pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Sat Dec 14 14:48:44 CET 2013

Dear Prof. Blaha, dear Gerhardt,

Prof. Blaha, thank you for this detailed procedure :-)

I tried this today. What happens, is that nn and sgroup create *.struct
file with space group 123, and 8 unique atoms (15 atoms total). The atoms
on the opposite sides of the slab are merged into a single unique
position.

Calculation with SOC needs to have the atoms on the opposite sides of the
slab splitted. However, initso_lapw does not split anything, and the
*.struct (and *.struct_so) file stays pretty much the same as before, at
least it again has only 8 unique atoms (15 total). As a result, after
running SCF with SOC and sp I will not be able to separate the surface
electronic structures on the opposite sites of the slab (along the
in-plane axis orthogonal to the magnetization they will differ).

Is it allowed/possible to use a primitive cell, and manually include the
2-fold rotation axis (which would be identical to the magnetization axis)?

Regards,
Lukasz

Dr. Lukasz Plucinski