[Wien] Thin film calculation

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Mon Dec 23 12:21:55 CET 2013

Create a structure (case.struct) that mimics the thin film; a common
approach seems to be to construct a supercell of an isolated slab in
vacuum with two free surfaces. Then, calculate the electronic and
structural properties as usual. [3. on page 3 of
http://www2.fizik.usm.my/tlyoon/research/ferroelectrics.pdf]

If you do a search, you will likely find other slab (or supercell)
models that you might consider [e.g., slide 6 of
http://msc.psu.edu/events/2007wien2kworkshop/saul.pdf]

Also, see the previous post:

http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg07218.html

In particular, I think the post is referring to slide 31 Supercells and
33 Surfaces of "Introduction to the WIEN2k code (P.Blaha)" at:

http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/textbooks/WIEN2k_lecture-notes_2013/

However, you will also likely find the FAQ
[http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/faq/supercells.html] and the Wien2k
usersguide useful.