[Wien] Questions regarding xspec and optic

Zhu, Jianxin jxzhu at lanl.gov
Mon Feb 11 17:15:07 CET 2013

Hi,

For X-ray ABS spectra (that explained in 8.10), I don't believe we need to create a linear grid throughout the whole BZ.  As for with or without core hole, it is a physical issue not a technical issue.

In the chapter 8.16 of UG, it is indeed written

In order to calculate XMCD and x-ray absorption spectra, eigenvalues must be evaluated over a

mesh in the whole Brillouin zone;

I'm not sure this requirement is really needed for X-ray spectra.

For your question 1,  you can always break the multiplicity by treating the atom with core-hole to be different an atom type from the rest.

I'm interested in seeing followup discussions by others.

Cheers,

Jianxin