[Wien] the difference between Zinc blende and Sphalerite structure

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Mon Feb 11 21:28:41 CET 2013

Sphalerite and zinc blende seems to be due to a language difference.
Sphalerite is derived from the "Greek" word sphaleros meaning
treacherous.  Blende is a "German" word meaning blind.  Both names that
are used interchangeably should be because miners could not "visually"
distinguish galena (lead sulfide) </wiki/Lead%28II%29_sulfide> from
sphalerite.