[Wien] Similar problem another user had, but I am having trouble understanding the solution

Joshua Davis davis101 at chemistry.msu.edu
Mon Feb 18 23:02:54 CET 2013

So I had already done calculations with Wien2k 11.1 in the directory
before.  Because of certain reasons I had to update to 12.1.  I had
compiled 12.1 with no error.  When I started doing this calculation I
started with a spin polarized case with an effective U value of 4 eV with
only 100 kpoints. When I started back up again I want to increase to 500 k
points. So I tried to do the same but with 500 kpoints and i put on the
parallel switch. That is were the trouble started.  at that point the only
thing that showed up in my error files was  "error in LAPW1."   I had just
compiled the program in parallel so I took off the parallel switch after I
did clean_lapw, but I still have the same error.  So I took off the -orb
switch. But, still the error persisted. So I tried to restart
initialization program and do a regular calculation. (At this point it gave
that error that happens if you try to do a regular calculation with spin
polarized files.)  So maybe there were left over information even though I
thought I cleaned it properly.

The furthest the file  *.scf1up got up to (its the same for down):

  K=   0.05556   0.05556   0.10000            1
:RKM  : MATRIX SIZE 3245LOs: 140  RKM= 8.00  WEIGHT= 8.00  PGR:
       EIGENVALUES ARE:

:KPT   :      NUMBER OF K-POINTS:    45

and this shows up in *.output1up (just a portion):

blebleble
 LDA+U potential       added for atom type  2 L=  2 spin up

  Orbital potential real part
 M= -2        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN
 M= -1        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN
 M=  0        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN
 M=  1        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN
 M=  2        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN

  Orbital potential imaginary part
 M= -2        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN
 M= -1        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN
 M=  0        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN
 M=  1        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN
 M=  2        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN        NaN

 LDA+U potential       added for atom type  3 L=  2 spin up

However,  I decide to move the *.struct, *.inorb, *.indm and the *.inst to
another directory and I started over and I ran it without the parallel
switch and it works now.

I guess other information to add is that I did not compile as root or sudo
because ifort is not sourced to root or sudo on my computer.

Thanks Joshua Davis