[Wien] Suspicious Fermi energy values

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Feb 19 17:05:44 CET 2013

The Fermi energy (or some eigenvalues) do not have any meaning as
absolute values. We have an infinite solid, no vacuum and the constant
in the coulomb potential determination is set "arbitrarely" to its
average in the interstitial region.

Thus your energy-zero is different for the 2 systems and you cannot
compare these numbers.

Possible solution: Try to find a common energy scale, eg. by comparing a
Zn-core level and relate all energies to these numbers (does not work if
the ionicity is different ....)

Do slab calculations with a vacuum and relate the energy to the
potential in the middle of the vacuum.