[Wien] MPI

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Fri Feb 22 14:32:46 CET 2013

Please be aware that the "-x LD_LIBRARY_PATH -x PATH" may be critical.

To explain (for others if needed), openmpi does not by default propogate
environmental variables, unless they have changed this recently. The
authors of the code argue that this is for security reasons, and I believe
openmpi has been designed to work with PBS and similar accounting systems
common on large clusters.

The "-x" propogates environmental variables, here the search path and
information on shared libraries. On some systems you might need more.

Unfortunately there is no robust way to propogate the environmental
variables set by ulimit with openmpi. This has been patched by including a
software setting for the relevant parameters which seems to work well
except sometimes for Mac's. In principle it could crash on some systems if
the sysadmin has set some restrictions.

N.B., make sure to use the right blacs version when linking, this changes
with the different flavors of mpi. I often forget to do this.

Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University
www.numis.northwestern.edu 1-847-491-3996
else has thought"