[Wien] question

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Sun Jan 20 10:38:14 CET 2013

> In the scf calculation of TiC, the amount of force in case.scf is 44.28
> (mRid/a.u). Is its means that the TiC structure is under pressure?? what
> should I do for give the force bellow 5 (mRyd/a.u)?

Something must be wrong here. TiC (with space group Fm-3m) cannot have
forces (symmetry-forbidden).

Furthermore, don't confuse forces (=on individual atoms) with pressure
(=on the entire cell).

Forces can be minimized by moving atoms (min_lapw). Pressure can be
minimized by changing the cell volume (and sometimes cell shape -- x
optimize).

See the UG for more details.

Stefaan