[Wien] Slab Calculation

Luis Ogando lcodacal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 17:51:39 CET 2013

Dear Alonso Onofrio,

   I know some works that estimate the band alignment of two semiconductor
materials in a heterostructure using their band structure calculated for
the respective bulk systems. Despite of this, in my opinion, the accurate
way to do it is to build a "supercell" starting from one of these materials
and adding the other one along an appropriate axis.
   You have to take care to build a sufficiently large cell in order to
prevent "communication" between the same material regions in neighbour
cells. Probably, you will have also to relax atomic positions for the atoms
"near" the interface.
   After this, you may use the DOS projected on the atoms to get an idea of
the gap evolution along the axis perpendicular to the interface. As you
will see, the picture of an abrupt change of the band gap at the interface
is not real despite being very useful in approximations like "effective
mass".
   Well, it is obviously a much more computationally expensive procedure,
but I believe it is the reliable way to do it.
   Perhaps, the reference Physical Review B 79, 241312 (R) (2009) could
help you.
   All the best,
                    Luis Ogando