[Wien] Fwd: band structure dependence on symmetry and complex calculation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jul 2 11:24:58 CEST 2013

There is no automatic way to do the "unfolding".

However, if you are interested only in 2 bands, you can do this by hand.

Maybe you get already the solution from the irreducible representations,
but then you have to understand group theory and sub/supergroup relations.

A more direct way is plotting the wavefunctions (lapw7, switch off
APW+lo for this analysis) for one eigenvalue after the other and
remember what "gamma" or "X" means in terms of a "Bloch state".

A "original Gamma" point will have the same phase (sign of the
wavefunction) in all "original unit cells";
a "original X-point" (which is now of course also at gamma) will have
different phases in the first or second "original" unit cell.

To make this more clear a simple 1D-example of a 1D H-atom chain with
one atom/cell.

The ground state at Gamma looks like (plotting 4 unit cells):

the ground state at "X"  has a phase factor exp(2pi/a*0.5 *r).
Its wave function looks therefore like:

Now double the cell in this direction (2 H atoms/cell). You will now
find 2 bands at Gamma, but there wavefunctions will look like above and
thus you "know" that the second eigenvalue is the "backfolded X-point".