[Wien] occupancy in wien2k

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jul 8 17:00:26 CEST 2013

You have a misunderstanding.

The bands are NOT degenerate (except at Gamma), but of course the
orbital OCCUPANCY (xy,yz,xz) is degenerate.

The occupation of the bands is a function of the energy of these 3 bands
and lower bands have a larger occupation than higher lying ones.

If your system has still cubic symmetry, each of those 3 bands is a
linear combination of the 3 t2g orbitals with equal character, but Band
1 is NOT the xy, band 2 the xz and band 3 the yz band....