[Wien] How to calculate optical absorption edge ?

Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Tue Jul 9 06:40:23 CEST 2013

Experimentally an absorption edge (optical gap) is estimated using the
tangent method.
Thus you should do the same with your calculated data to compare optical
gap values, which differ from a fundamental band gap.

Indeed, a fundamental band gap is the smallest band gap allowing to
excite an electron in unoccupied states (deduced from electrical
measurements - thus no transition rules).
In contrast, the optical gap is related to an excitation using photons,
thus it respects the dipolar transitions rules (this gap is usually
larger than the fundamental band gap).

Regards

Xavier