[Wien] How to calculate optical absorption edge ?

Masood Yousaf masoodyousaf1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 08:44:22 CEST 2013

I would be grateful if you guide me how to apply this tangent method to the data of imaginary part of the dielectric function. can I use Origin to apply this ?

Best wishes
Masood

>Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:30 PM
>Subject: Re: [Wien] How to calculate optical absorption edge ?
>

>If you plot epsilon2 (the imaginary part of the dielectric function) and use the tangent method, you can estimate the absorption edge from WIEN2K.
>However, it requires to use a proper functional, allowing to
      overcome the inherent problems of DFT, which is a ground state
      theory, i.e. LDA+U for correlated systems or hybrid functional...

>Regards
>
>Xavier
>
>Le 7/9/2013 7:00 AM, Masood Yousaf a écrit :
>
>Dear Sir, thanks for your elaboration. Need some further explanation to overcome the confusion. Is it possible to determine accurately absorption edge from WIEN2k code only i.e., from case.epsilon ?
>>

>>Best wishes
>>Masood

>>>Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:40 PM
>>>Subject: Re: [Wien] How to calculate optical absorption edge ?
>>>

>>>Experimentally an absorption edge (optical gap) is estimated using the tangent method.
>>>Thus you should do the same with your calculated
                        data to compare optical gap values, which differ
                        from a fundamental band gap.

>>>Indeed, a fundamental band gap is the smallest
                        band gap allowing to excite an electron in
                        unoccupied states (deduced from electrical
                        measurements - thus no transition rules).
>>>In contrast, the optical gap is related to an
                        excitation using photons, thus it respects the
                        dipolar transitions rules (this gap is usually
                        larger than the fundamental band gap).

>>>Regards
>>>
>>>Xavier
>>>

>>>Le 7/9/2013 3:07 AM, Masood Yousaf a écrit :
>>>
>>>Dear wien2k users

                          absortion edge in wien2k ? How it differs from
                          band gap of material ? I read that first
                          critical point in imaginary part of the
                          dielectric function represents optical
                          absorption edge. But how to ensure that which
                          is the first critical point. Kindly guide