[Wien] How to calculate optical absorption edge ?

Masood Yousaf masoodyousaf1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 12:11:50 CEST 2013

Sir sorry for inconvenience again. I found small small software utility TANGENT.opk for ORIGIN which can draw tangent a point and gives corresponding slope. I am just confused at which point I should take the tangent. What point in data set of imaginary part of epsilon represents ''EDGE''. In other words which point represent ''EDGE''. Kindly guide how to  take tangent properly in Origin along Edge.

Best wishes
Masood

>Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:52 PM
>Subject: Re: [Wien] How to calculate optical absorption edge ?
>

>I am also using origin to determine the absorption edge based on epsilon2.
>You must simply draw a tangent line along the edge and then read
      the intersection between this line and "Eps2 = 0" axis.

>Le 7/9/2013 8:44 AM, Masood Yousaf a écrit :
>
>I would be grateful if you guide me how to apply this tangent method to the data of imaginary part of the dielectric function. can I use Origin to apply this ?
>>

>>Best wishes
>>Masood

>>>Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:30 PM
>>>Subject: Re: [Wien] How to calculate optical absorption edge ?
>>>

>>>If you plot epsilon2 (the imaginary part of the dielectric function) and use the tangent method, you can estimate the absorption edge from WIEN2K.
>>>However, it requires to use a proper functional,
                        allowing to overcome the inherent problems of
                        DFT, which is a ground state theory, i.e. LDA+U
                        for correlated systems or hybrid functional...

>>>Regards
>>>
>>>Xavier
>>>
>>>Le 7/9/2013 7:00 AM, Masood Yousaf a écrit :
>>>
>>>Dear Sir, thanks for your elaboration. Need some further explanation to overcome the confusion. Is it possible to determine accurately absorption edge from WIEN2k code only i.e., from case.epsilon ?

                                          with your calculated data to
                                          compare optical gap values,
                                          which differ from a
                                          fundamental band gap.

> [...]