[Wien] Multicore on i7 iMac

pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 19 11:31:47 CEST 2013

Dear WIEN2k experts,

My GdTiO3 bulk calculation (space group 62) works well on the iMac with
GGA+U. However, when I try to add SOC there is an error after the first
iteration:

lplucin at iff1276:GTO_GGAU_SOC % more STDOUT
 LAPW0 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
LAPWSO END
LAPWSO END
LAPW2 - FERMI; weighs written
 LAPW2 END
 LAPW2 END
 SUMPARA END
LAPW2 - FERMI; weighs written
 LAPW2 END
 LAPW2 END
 SUMPARA END

>   stop error: the required input file GTO_GGAU_SOC.indmc for the next
step could not be found

Could you advise?

Regards,
Lukasz

> Dear Prof. Blaha,
>
> Thank you for your comment, it helps.
>
> My slab was indeed wrong not having the inversion symmetry. I have now
> constructed the slab with the inversions symmetry (was found automatic by
> nn and sgroup), and the calculation is running. Actually you have
> explained that to me already in 2008 (see below)... so I'm a bit
> embarrassed :-)
>
> The calculation is for Fe slab. UG says, that it is sufficient to do SCF
> without spin-orbit, and then initialize spin-orbit and do one single SCF
> iteration with spin-orbit. Or should I converge SCF again after including
> spin-orbit? In any case, once I get the slab running properly, I am
> planning to test and compare the results.
>
> Regards,
> Lukasz

>>> for lapw1 and lapw2. It reduced the iteration from approx. 7.2min to