[Wien] Confusion in Selecting proper value of Hubbard potential.

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jul 21 09:38:32 CEST 2013

People with experience "know" what U you should use (at least the range of
reasonable values). You can also "calculate" U (see our web-site), but the
calculated U values are often too large.

Since you do not tell us which system you have, we cannot help you. But for sure
bigger values of U than 8 eV are unphysical.

 From what you tell us, I suppose you have 4f electrons, then after some value of U
the gap is 4f-5d and cannot be increase much by U anymore. If this is the case,
Hong Jiang's  mBJ+U method should be good, as mBJ affects the 5d and U the 4f
states properly.

Peter Blaha
Inst. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna
Getreidemarkt 9, A-1060 Vienna, Austria