[Wien] scp error

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Jun 4 14:42:30 CEST 2013

Let me add a couple of clarifications to what Peter suggested, since I
often get caught by the ".process" and ".process2" files. I just did a
quick search of the UG and they do not appear to be described
(suggestion to Peter to add). Their format is somewhat self
explanatory (although they do not seem to be constructed to be very
human readable, i.e. no comments on the right.)

The shell scripts create these files during a -p run so, for instance,
lapw2 can run in parallel on the same nodes that lapw1 used and
therefore SCRATCH and other files which might only be in temporary
storage are consistent. When you run under PBS or several other
similar job control codes which nodes you use are dynamically
allocated and are then stored within these files. If you now run a
second job or interactive task to do some analysis you are likely to
have a different set of nodes allocated to you which can then create
problems.

If you are running interactively you can adjust these files for the
nodes that you have. Alternatively you can do a single -p pass
although unfortunately -it might switch to non-iterative because the
setup uses the .process file to cp the old vector file.

I suspect that it may be too hard to construct a shell script (or csh)
to set these up properly for a given .machines file by extracting the
relevant section from lapw1para, perhaps a good mini project for
someone.