[Wien] Choice of Coulomb Energy

Hong Jiang jiangh99 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 17 15:56:01 CEST 2013

Dear Uday,
For the 4f orbitals of lanthanide ions, the value of U in the range of 5
- 7 eV should be quite reasonable. In particular, for Ce, I did some
constrained DFT calculations in WIEN2k some time ago, and I got Ueff =
U-J ~ 6.2 eV. But this value can not be taken too serious since it
depends on some technical parameters. In a early study by S. Fabris et
al (PRB 72, 237102 (2005)), the U for Ce obtained from a linear response
approach is about 5.3 eV. Considering the uncertainty related to the way
to calculate U, I think U=5 - 7 eV for lanthanide ions is a reasonable
estimation. That is why in our study of lanthanide oxides using
GW at LDA+U, we use Ueff=5.4 eV, and we have obtained quite good agreement
with experiment for the band gaps of Ln2O3 (H. Jiang et al. PRL 102,
126403 (2009); PRB 86, 125115 (2012)).

Hong

于 2013/6/17 21:30, Uday 写道: