[Wien] basis set size for oxygen crystal

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 19 17:15:03 CEST 2013

Well, at http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/faq/rkmax.html it even says you
need  RKmax=6.5 for O.

On the other hand I do not understand the following:

 >> The table lists the RKMax value, the matrix size, the corresponding
 >> RKMax if the muffin tin radius would be 2.0 (that gives a better feeling
 >> of the large size of this basis set) and the volume of the unit cell
 >> determined from an equation of state fit:
 >>
 >> 6.00 1426 11.8  505.0

Why do you say, RKmax with (R=1.02) of 6  "corresponds" to RKmax=11.8
(when the spheres would be 2)  ??
This statement implies that you use a "constant Kmax", and this is
exactly, what we don't need to do. Instead one could still use RKmax=6,
which would reduce the "Kmax" to 3 and lead to a much smaller matrix size.

I admit, that the scaling for different R-mts with "RKmax" is not always
"perfect", but it is not that bad either.