[Wien] basis set size for oxygen crystal

Pask, John E. pask1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jun 19 23:27:11 CEST 2013

> What you say may be appropriate for a single element.

In the context of multiple species, one must consider the most limiting species, i.e., the one which requires largest RKmax to converge to desired accuracy. That RKmax is then sufficient for all.

> But...to complicate the issue, suppose I have bulk MgO, H2O (gas) &
> bulk Mg(OH)2 where the RMTs are Mg=1.6, O=1.2, H=0.5 and I want to
> calculate the thermodynamics of the reaction MgO+H2O -> Mg(OH)2. In
> such a case a fixed RKmax will give different planewave resolution at
> the O RMT.

Actually, same RKmax and Rmt implies same Kmax. So same planewave resolution at all points in space (outside spheres), regardless of atomic configuration.

John