[Wien] Role of sgroup program

Michael Sluydts Michael.Sluydts at UGent.be
Mon Jun 24 10:57:58 CEST 2013

Hello Saurabh,

Sgroup will try to find the smallest primitive cell by maximizing the
symmetry. This gives you the same structure.

Since this lowers the amount of inequivalent positions it does reduce
the freedom (so if you want to give one of them a slight nudge and break
the symmetry you may not be able to do that within the higher
symmetrical spacegroup).

You should also make sure the struct files you are feeding into sgroup
have sufficient decimals in their positions for instance a position at
1/3 may not be recognised when you feed sgroup 0.33300000 but will be
recognized 0.3333333333 which may affect the output structure.

You may wish to give us some more information on those errors you get if
you don't switch to the sgroup-generated struct though since that does
not seem normal to me in first instance.

Regards,

Michael Sluydts