[Wien] volume optimization

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Fri Mar 1 21:04:00 CET 2013

If all you have are the atomic positions (and lattice constant) then the
only unbiased approach would be to calculate the U, see
http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/textbooks/Constraint_U.pdf.

N.B., the DFT+U method is variational for a fixed U, but I don't think it
is variational as a function(al) of U.

else has thought"
Albert Szent-Gyorgi