[Wien] Supercell calculations

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 4 07:19:47 CET 2013

ZnS has a F-centered cell and 2 atoms in the primitive cell.

When you create a 2x1x1 cell, this can no longer be face-centered,
thus one has to change to a P-lattice.

However, the primitive cube contains 4 times as many atoms, so ZnS has
8 atoms in a cube, and thus your 2x1x1 cell has 16.

A bit of basic solid state physics or crystallography, .....

Am 04.03.2013 07:12, schrieb AJAY SINGH VERMA:
> Sir 1 thing i want to kw is that i had a struct file of ZnS with 2 atoms(unit cell) and i got for 2X1X1 supercell 16 atoms in struct file..Is this correct?
>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: ssghosh at igcar.gov.in
> To: wien at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
> Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:34:15 +0530
> Subject: Re: [Wien] Supercell calculations
>
> You have to copy the super.struct file to the *.struct file and run init_lapw. The initialization will change the symmetry of your supercell accordingly due to indium doping.
>
> Remember, you may also have to minimize the forces when you do supercell calculations.

Peter Blaha
Inst. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna
Getreidemarkt 9, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43-1-5880115671