[Wien] Questions about "-orbc" calculations

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Mar 8 09:43:57 CET 2013

I have done once some test calculations on some iridates.

As far as I remember, everything depends on the assumed magnetic order
and also on the direction of the magnetization (with SO). Some magnetic
structures are easy to converge, others will not (or very hard) converge.

With LDA+U and -orbc you can often enforce a particular magnetic/orbital
state, but of course not always. If the system feels it is even with an
external constrained potential not favorable, it won't go into this
state, (unless you specify a really large U value ?)

And remember, LDA+U was made for real insulators, for "correlated
metals" only DMFT may help (wien2wannier + DMFT, see eg. unsupported
software).