[Wien] Virtual Crystal Approximation (VCA): not neighboring atoms in periodic table

Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Sat Mar 9 07:14:07 CET 2013

Many other posts have been sent more recently. Search the word "virtual"
and not "VCA".

The idea is that you replace an atom defined by a nucleus +Z surrounded
by Z electrons, by an effective atom defined by a nucleus Zeff = Z+x
surrounded by Z+x electrons. Such an effective treatment can only be
done for neigboring atoms, which have the same number of core electrons
for instance and similar radii...
Indeed, remember the Slater approach (effective nucleus). The screening
is defined by the inner electrons Zeff = Z - Sigma, and the way the
nucleus is screened defines all the properties of the atom. In your case
the valence electrons of La and Nb feel a completely different effective
nucleus (the screening is too much different) and a mixing of these two
atoms cannot be simply treated by an effective nucleus. In a way VCA is
a perturbative approach and could give results only if the atoms are not
too far in the periodic table.

In addition, as already explained by Peter in previous posts it should
be used only for "non-active" electrons in the valence band (like
Sr2+/La3+), but not for active ones (like O/F) ...

In your case, I will use a supercell approach and to insure that you
didn't create an artificial order you must try different models and
compare them in terms of total energy, DOS, properties...

Best Regards

Xavier

  valence electrons/core charge