[Wien] Error in TiC suercell nn calculation

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Fri May 3 10:30:27 CEST 2013

Hello, Vishal Jain,

Gavin is right, the Warnings should disappear if you accept to use the
new case_nn.struct generated by nn. Do sgroup after accepting to replace
case.struct by case_nn.struct. This will find the new space group and
symmetries (you broke some symmetries by removing the atom). cycle
through nn, sgroup, structedit until you and the programs are satisfied,
then proceed to symmetry.

A warning/caveat from myself:

Apparently this does NOT always work (for TiC I think it does)!

I recently stumbled over a case where I generated a (trivial 1x1x1)
supercell via structgen, made changed one atom, cycled through nn and
sgroup until both were happy, but symmetry crashed with the resulting
.struct. Probably some rounding error, I had to place the atoms by hand
in a fresh case.struct with space group and positions found by sgroup.

Regards,

Martin