[Wien] Reg: Supercell calculation

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Nov 13 11:05:17 CET 2013

Dear Swetha Gummula,

The physical properties of a material do not depend on wether or not you
make use of symmetry properties when you calculate them. This is true
also if you use Wien2k for your calculations - with the caveat that you
should be careful to converge the scf to the same degree with respect to
calculation parameters like RMT's and k-mesh.

You might want to estimate the influence of symmetries on convergence.
You know best which physical properties you are interested in: calculate
them for your 'normal', undoped Heusler system, using the full symmetry.
Then create your supercell where you split e.g. a symmetry equivalent Fe
position into Fe1 and Fe2. This breaks some symmetries, meaning that
Wien2k will not use them, but the material described by case.struct
stays the same. Don't change the RMT's, you probably can reduce the
number of k-points. When you calculate the physical properties the
results should be the same.

You are right, however, it is safer to compare only calculations which
used the same symmetry. Use the splitting of Fe- or other positions to
generate a supercell case.struct describing your undoped Heusler alloy
using the lowest symmetry you have for your doped systems. Create a new
case and copy the .struct from the reference case. Dope this by changing
one Fe into whatever. Then do all calculations in the reference case and
the doped one with equal parameters (RMT's, k-mesh ...).