[Wien] ZnIn2Te4 structure confusion

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Wed Nov 13 13:46:07 CET 2013

> Sir, Thank you for your response. we actually want to replace the anion
> in ZnIn2X4 by X=S,Te, Se, O to see an effect. For compounds ZnIn2O4,
> ZnIn2S4 we are certain that they have spinel structure with space group
> no. 227. So we want to execute ZnIn2Te4 in the same spinel structure to
> verify an effect. Is it fine ? As we just want to explore the nature of
> same Effect ? Is it necessary that the modelled compound should be
> stable in terms of energy ?

It really depends on the question you are asking yourself. If your goal
is indeed to inspect a trend upon substituting a site in a crystal
structure by a series of atoms, then there is no need for the crystal
structure to be stable for that stoichiometry.

Stefaan