[Wien] Slab dielectric function vs. bulk dielectric function

phlhj phlhj phylhj at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 04:51:57 CET 2013

Dear Prof. Blaha,

Thanks so much for your suggestion.

I tried bulk Al supercell with 39ML without vacuum with the same k-mesh as
used in 39 ML thin film supercell. In fact I get the same results for
plasma frequency and dielectric function as those from Al unit cell with
only one Al atom. I think the k-mesh of 61x61x1 I used in my calculation is
dense enough to give a precise result.

The main difference for the dielectric function between thin film geometry
and bulk geometry is at the low energy range (<1.2eV). I researched some
paper for studying the anisotropic surface reflectance in semiconductor
surface, say, GaAs(110). Even 15 atomic layers are used in the LDA
calculation but still some difference around the band gap regime for the
dielectric function is found between surface calculation and bulk
calculation. I think the difference I encountered for teh dielectric
function between slab Al(111) and bulk Al might be similar to the case in
semiconductor system. However,  from the physical point of view, it's hard
to understand why there is still appreciable difference out there even
though very thick film is used. Physically the dielectric function of the
very thick slab should converge to that in the bulk counterpart.

Thank you so much for sharing any understanding about this,

Wenmei