[Wien] Formula to calculate lattice constant from cubic volume

Kurt Lejaeghere Kurt.Lejaeghere at UGent.be
Sat Nov 30 12:05:49 CET 2013

Dear Naseem

this formula is only valid for fcc lattices when the volume is
expressed in bohr^3 and when you want the lattice constant in angstrom.

In that case, there are 4 atoms in the conventional unit cell, so the
conventional unit cell has a volume of 4 times that of the primitive
1-atom unit cell (which is used in WIEN2k) (see for example
http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/ap216/lectures/ls_2/ls2_u7/sse_tut_1/solid1.html fig. 1.2.2, with the red cell conventional and the white one primitive). The fcc lattice vector is the third power root of the volume of the conventional unit cell (because this cell is cubic, and for a cube V = a^3). The factor 0.529177 then serves to scale the dimensions from bohr to
angstrom.

Kind regards

Kurt