[Wien] DOS for FSM calc - problem

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 11 14:50:26 CEST 2013

The 2 different EF can be interpreted as an external magnetic field.

Without such a field, of course the "meaning" of an FSM calculation is
only that it may help you to stabilize a particular magnetic solution
(high-spin, low spin, intermediate spin) and eventually helps to find
out which of those states is the (theoretical) ground state. Of course,
in such cases one should test the "stability" of your solution by
continuation with runsp and see if this state survives (and has a
lower/higher energy than some other).

And I agree with Gerhard, if "PBE" does not work to reproduce
experiment, one may have to resort to LDA+U or (the more expensive, but
potentially more ab initio) hybrid-DFT method.

But be warned: PBE0 makes eg. bulk Pt metal ferromagnetic, so it is not
always the right method.....