[Wien] Reg: BerryPI calculation

Sheikh Jamil Ahmed sahmed5 at lakeheadu.ca
Sun Oct 13 19:16:09 CEST 2013

You can create non equivalent atoms using the w2web interface.  You have to
use the "split" options to divide the two equivalent positions of Atom 1
into two different atoms. And then label them as 1 and 2 which will make
sure that the symmetry operation doesn't realize that you have two
equivalent positions. Then you can go on to compute the effective charge
for atom 1.

Alternatively, on your current structure both the atoms are equivalent
which means they will have the same effective charge. So, I would suggest
that instead of displacing just one atomic positions if you use identical
displacement for the both positions, you can compute sum of the effective
charges for the two equivalent atoms without any errors. Then you just have
to average them.

PS: make sure that you lattice vectors are orthogonal. BerryPI doesn't yet
have the capability to compute polarization for non orthogonal case.

Hope that will help.

Sheikh