[Wien] Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5550 @ 2.67GHz vs Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Oct 17 16:11:34 CEST 2013

There are so many possibilities, a few:

a) If you only request 1 core/node most queuing systems (qsub/msub
etc) will allocate the other cores to other jobs. You are then going
to be very dependent upon what those other jobs are doing. Normal is
to use all the cores on a given node.

b) When you run on cluster B, in addition to a) it is going to be
inefficient to run with mpi communications across nodes and it is much
better to run on a given node across cores. Are you using a machines
file with eight 1: nodeA lines (for instance) or one with a single 1:
nodeA nodeB....? The first does not use mpi, the second does. To use
mpi within a node you would use lines such as 1:node:8. Knowledge of
your .machines file will help people assist you.

c) The memory on those clusters is very small, whoever bought them was
not thinking about large scale jobs. I look for at least 4G/core, and
2G/core is barely acceptable. You are going to have to use mpi.

d) All mpi is equal, but some mpi is more equal than others. Depending
upon whether you have infiniband, ethernet, openmpi, impi and how
everything was compiled you can see enormous differences. One thing to
look at is the difference between the cpu time and wall time (both in
case.dayfile and at the bottom of case.output1_*). With a good mpi
setup the wall time should be 5-10% more than the cpu time; with a bad
setup it can be several times it.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University