[Wien] Basic question about mbj potential

tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 25 16:29:52 CEST 2013

Hi,

It has been shown that MBJ yields (very often) band gaps which are in
better agreement with experiment than LDA/PBE for many types of
semiconductors/insulators (sp, Mott-Hubbard, rare gases, ionic), but there
are also a few cases where MBJ does not improve over LDA/PBE.
There is no reason to think that MBJ would not work for systems with
mixed Mott-Hubbard/charge-transfer band gaps. For instance, NiO (whose gap
contains a non-negligible charge-transfer character) is a system for which
MBJ works well. If you look at the papers citing our PRL [Phys. Rev.
Lett. 102, 226401 (2009)], maybe you will find something useful.

F. Tran