[Wien] to change an atom in the unit cell

Elias Assmann elias.assmann at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 14:34:24 CEST 2013

On 09/18/2013 02:14 PM, AJAY SINGH VERMA wrote:
> thank u for the reply, sir i had asked 1 more question to replace one of
> the Cu atom to Ga
>
> As u can see that in .struct file we have only one Cu atom left and if i
> change this, whole of the unit cell will contain no Cu atom.

Ok, I misread what your problem was, sorry.

In this case you need to

(1) create a supercell (e.g. in ‘octave’ with the ‘structeditor’ suit of
functions, or using the ‘supercell’ program, both of which come with Wien)

(2) split the equivalent positions in a suitable way (i.e., reduce
MULT); you can do this with an editor like you did, or with
‘structeditor’ or maybe also with StructGen under ‘w2web’

(3) remove Cu's as desired

(4) replace Cu->Ga as desired (if you do this in an editor, you have to
make sure that you change the name, Z, and R0 consistently)

(5) run ‘nn’, ‘symmetry’, and ‘sgroup’ to get the “real” multiplicities.

More information about all of these steps should be available in the
list archives, as well as the documentation.

	Elias