[Wien] A basic question regarding structure optimization

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Sep 23 08:06:00 CEST 2013

You CAN DO AND probably SHOULD ALWAYS DO a simultaneously optimization
of external (lattice parameters) and internal (atomic positions) degrees
of freedom with wien2k.
Just use MSR1a  in the   run_lapw  step in volume optimization or
replace run_lapw by min_lapw in any script.

The "error" could be small (or almost zero), or could be very large
(giving you meaningless results). This depends on your specific case.