[Wien] Reg: How to find the Stoner parameter in stoner criteria?

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Wed Apr 2 01:47:43 CEST 2014

Maybe, you will find the following references helpful.

As far as I know, Wien2k still does not output the Stoner parameter
[http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg04711.html].

There are at least two different methods to calculate the Stoner
parameter [http://theory.mse.cornell.edu/Magnetism.pdf (slide 9)].

1) For the first method, the Stoner parameter is estimated from the equation

I = delta_ex/m

where delta_ex is the exchange splitting and m is the total magnetic
moment per atom [Dissertation titled "Theory of Adsorption, Diffusion
and Spinpolarization of Mn on Si(001) and Si(111) Substrates" at
http://www.diss.fu-berlin.de/diss/servlets/MCRFileNodeServlet/FUDISS_derivate_000000002402/
(Chapter 3, page 43)].

2)  For the second method, fixed spin moment (FSM) calculations are
performed
[http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg04699.html].

The obtained E versus m data is fitted to a polynomial equation to
extract I [http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.74.014416 (page 3),
http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/mailing_list/wien-digest.archive/summary_2002_II
(search keyword "stoner" for the post by Mazin)].