[Wien] decomposing the ELNES or (DOS)

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Aug 4 19:51:43 CEST 2014

Use     x qtl

Check the UG. You can define an arbitrarely oriented coordinate system
for each atom, so can specify in-plane and out-of-plane direction and
corresponding decomposition.
--
Peter Blaha
Inst.Materials Chemistry

I have a problem for decomposing the ELNES (and DOS) in the crystal
structures in monoclinic structure. This problem become more seriously
when crystals contain some planar molecule with the different
orientations with respect to the each other and to the lattice vectors.
I'm studying about the ELNES of an organic molecular crystal, nemely
"Anthracene, with WIEN2k code. Anthracene unit cell contains two
anhracene molecules (consisting of three fused benzene rings,  in a
linear geometry) placed in a herringbone arrangement the xy plane (shown
in the attahed figure) which are then stacked along z direction. It is
crystallized in a monoclinic structure with the P21/a symmetry. Lattice
parameters are

                                         a (angstrom)     b
       c             beta (angle between a and c)
8.40

6.049

11.156

124˚.62΄

I have attached its structure file for you, in two view (in the z
direction and in the xy-plane). I calculated its ELNES with a 2*2*2
super-cell, with core hole approximation. I want to analysis the
p21a.sdlm (attached here) file for ELNES decomposition to its ( l' , m'
) components ( pi and sigma structures), but I have confused. Because
the plane of the each molecule  is not normal to the a, b or c
directions of the unit cell. Therefore, I cannot correctly determine pi
components (that should be normal to the hydrocarbon plane) It is; also
for sigma component . My mean is: the l'=1 , m'=0 in the case.sdlm
cannot be attributed to the pi component and so on, Yes?? This question
exists for DOS decomposition, too. Can anyone help me about the correct
ELNES and DOS decomposition?