[Wien] Compilation issues for lapw0 v.13 on Mac OS X (request for code review)

Kevin Jorissen kevinjorissenpdx at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 18:41:22 CEST 2014

Hi Martin,

thanks for your comments.

* You're right: fixing only the initialization bug (2 lines of code) is
good enough.  Just tested running with only that single change:  It makes
the test finish successfully.  Good thinking.

[I made the other code changes first while looking for the source of the
problem and they had some effect on code behavior (while the initialization
bug was still unfixed) so I included them in my report ...  I personally
prefer "tighter", cleaner code as it makes it easier to find and fix
problems - sometimes array size issues do cause a problem even when they
shouldn't.  But it looks like they are optional and could be ignored.]

* I think the development model for many scientific projects is "let's put
it in now or we'll forget" rather than the nice branched models you read
about :).

* Valgrind, yeah ...  I tried it some years ago and hated it.  I found it
unwieldy, convoluted, buggy, low signal-to-noise i.e. loads of false
positives ...  Maybe it's gotten better though, maybe I'm missing out.  But
I have a feeling it's not for casual users: you have to study Valgrind
before it becomes a useful tool.  And, like runtime checks (-check all),
often harder to use in these big legacy projects that are full of small
leaks and errors (that are harmless in the end) and make it hard to get to
the issues that matter ...

Cheers,

Kevin