[Wien] QTL-B error for Zn K-edge ELNES

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Wed Aug 27 10:35:52 CEST 2014

Dear Peter,

Hello from Japan.
Thank you very much for your comment.  I have always employed supercells, but the sign of the compensating charge was more subtle.  In truth, for the MgO supercell example, I tried both -1 and +1 in case.inm, but I didn't see much different in the XSPEC spectra.

Paul
On Aug 27, 2014, at 16:11, Peter Blaha <pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> About core-hole calculations for XSPEC or TELNES:
>
> 1) You need to make a sizable supercell !!! Maybe start with 16 atoms/cell, but 64 or more are even better. It is WRONG to make a core-hole calculation with just 2 Zn atoms/cell. Why: Consider reality: You excite only VERY few atoms in such a measurements (actually VERY few even means 1 out of 10^10 or less!!!), the majority of atoms remain in the ground state and can contribute to the screening. This is, what we want to simulate.
>
> 2) We need to have charge neutrality, i.e. the sum of nuclear charges and electronic charges must cancel. By removing 1 e- from one atom in the cell, you need to add this charge somewhere. 2 possibilities:
> a) add it as valence electron (increase NE in case.in2; but don't forget to remove this e- AFTER the scf cycle and before calculation the spectra)
> b) add a background charge in case.inm.
> MSR1  -1.0  YES  (BROYD/PRATT, extra charge (+1 for additional e), norm)
> As the comment says, you should set this value to +1, when you have added an e-. For core holes, we have REMOVED an electron, thus we must set this to   -1.0   !!!
> You SHOULD ALWAYS CHECK your charge neutrality using
> grep :NEC01 case.scf.
>
> Now which method is better, a) or b) ???
> In many cases there is NOT much difference, though in some cases there could be a difference.
> Again, remember we want to simulate experiment as close as possible:
> the Zn 1s electron will be excited (dipole rule) into Zn-4p electrons. The electronic structure of ZnO has mainly Zn-s and p character at the conduction band minimum, thus when we use method b), we actually add this e- into Zn-s+p states, which is "approximately" correct. However, since the Zn-4sp states are very delocalized states with little weight inside the Zn-sphere, I don't think it matters too much when you put the charge into the background.
> An opposite example would be eg. CeO2, which has very localized Ce-4f states just above EF. When simulating O-K edges, it is NOT a good idea to add the e- into the valence, because it will go into LOCALIZED Ce-4f states and not contribute significantly to screen the core-hole on oxygen. The method b) would be better in this case. Of course, for Ce-M edges obviously method a) should be much better.
>
> Hope this clarifies the unclear discussion on the mailing list.
>
> Peter Blaha

> Hi Kevin,
>    Are you sure you are correct for using "-1" in case.inm.  I can reproduce the example from the Wien2K course (MgO supercell) just fine when I use a "+1" in case.inm.  The documentation states that "1" adds another electron.  From what I understand this is to compensate for the electron that is removed when a core hole is generated by changing the occupancy in case.inc.  For the case of MgO.inc
>
> 1 0.00  0  NUMBER OF ORBITALS (EXCLUDING SPIN), SHIFT, IPRINT
> 1,-1,2               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
> [...]

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Research Scientist
Functional Nano-phase-change Research Team
Nanoelectronics Research Institute
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI

AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939

email: paul-fons at aist.go.jp

The following lines are in a Japanese font

〒305-8562 茨城県つくば市つくば中央東 1-1-1
産業技術総合研究所
ナノエレクトロニクス研究部門
相変化新規機能デバイス研究チーム