[Wien] Supercell structure co-ordinates are different in Wien2k and PHON

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Thu Dec 4 08:45:20 CET 2014

The 12 atoms cell is obviously not the P 1 (space group 1) but P m (space group 6) cell
I do not know why the supercell program keeps mirror operations.
Is there a "wanted" or "necessary"  reason for this behaviour ?

It is easy to check that the P 1 cell contains 16 atoms (sgroup finds F m-3m with 8c, 4b, and 4a occupied).
(It seems that superstruct has a problem with the 8c position)

For Phonon calculations one would need the P 1 cell,
otherwise one moves (in certain cases)   2 or more atoms at once out of there equilibrium positions (here Fe atoms)

A workaround for the present case would be to start with the structure set up inm F -43m (216), in that case, superstruct delivers P 1 !

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University