[Wien] initial projections for wien2wannier with spin orbital coupling

Zhu, Jianxin jxzhu at lanl.gov
Fri Dec 12 07:34:47 CET 2014

Hi Zhi,

1/ runsp_c_lapw –so  is one way for spin-orbit coupling but non-spin-polarized case.

Elias has also suggested the following way after faking the spin polarized calculation --
$ x w2w -so -up && x w2w -so -dn
$ cp CASE.eig CASE.eigup
$ cp CASE.eig CASE.eigdn
$ x wannier90 -so

Have you tried with this alternative?
I believe the charge self-consistency calculation should be converged fast with this alternative way.

2/ For the initial projection, the following order may be more consistent with the Bloch wavefunction in the spin space (spinor).

1:f

1:d          !these three lines for up block

1:s

1:f

1:d    !these three lines for dn block

1:s

I am surprised you consider all orbitals only on Sm, should one also be bothered with S p-orbitals?

Cheers,

Jianxin