[Wien] Convergence problem

tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 29 09:50:33 CET 2014

The calculation for an isolated atom with a code which uses periodic
boundary conditions (like WIEN2k) is not trivial. This is what I have done
recently for most atoms of the periodic table (excluding f-systems), and
for some of the transition-metal atoms this was extremely difficult to
achieve convergence.

A few hints (that I used):

1) It is important (and necessary depending on the atom) to reduce the
symmetry from cubic to, e.g., orthorhombic to be able to access the
electronic configuration with the lowest energy (this is the procedure
followed by several research groups like VASP for instance).
If necessary I can give more details about the case.struct that I used.

2) lapw0 requires a lot of memory, while lapw1 requires both
memory and time. To reduce computer time for lapw1, I was using
iterative digonalization (this was my command for all atoms):
runsp_lapw -ec 0.0001 -cc 0.0001 -it -i 1000 -NI

3) For the Ni atom the magnetic moment should be 2:
:MMTOT:  SPIN MAGNETIC MOMENT IN CELL     =    2.00238

4) I was using the default setting for mixer.

F. Tran