[Wien] Configuring SCRATCH variable for parallel computation

César de la Fuente cesar at unizar.es
Thu Feb 13 17:09:37 CET 2014

Hi,

I 'm doing some tests in the Memento cluster of the University of Zaragoza
on TiC system with a k- 100k pts , 4 nodes with 64 CPUs per node. It is a
system that does not share RAM and hard disks between nodes during
calculations. Initially the parallel computation with Wien2k stopped in the
first cycle because a file system problem. The variable $ SCRATCH point to
the local hard disks of each node used in the parallel computation.
Fortunately I was able to finish the calculation re-directing the variable $
SCRATCH to /home directory that it is shared by all nodes. The calculation
finish fine and it is correct, but I think that something is wrong. Wien2k
not seems  to be originally designed for a parallel calculation using /home
as SCARTCH.

Is it correct to use the /home directory as SCRATCH in Wien2k ? , Can this
cause problems in the OS of Memento's cluster or in  future wien2k
calculations?. In fact, I'm having other problems with wien2k in other
systems but I'm not sure if it is because SCRATCH points to /home directory
or not.

Thank you for your attention and appreciate any comment.

Sincerely,

Dr. César de la Fuente.
Depto. de Física de la Materia Condensada.
Edificio Torres-Quevedo
EINA-Universidad de Zaragoza.
C/María de Luna 3, 50018-Zaragoza (SPAIN).