[Wien] problem in parallel calculation

hassan jamnejad hassan.jamnejad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 17:50:04 CET 2014

Dear Prof. Blaha

  we have configured a multi-core Authentic AMD processor(48 CPUs), with a
CentOS 6.4 installed on it and we are going to use it as an standalone
machine and not in a cluster nor on a networked parallel machines. we have
used to use wien2k installed on Core i7 cpus without any problem not in
compiling nor on running it.

  surprisingly on this powerful multi-core machine when we try running the
SCF cycle for any structure, although we have set the environment variable
OMP_NUM_THREADS to 48 there is less LAPW1 threads created on the system and
more importantly it will go through an unkown infinite loop on the first
cycle even we have waited for a whole week and the LAPW1 on the first cycle
did not end.

  As a blind try to understand where the bug is, we set OMP_NUM_THREADS  to
1 and change nothing else the complete SCF cycle took 2 hours and we didn't
have any problem.

  The softwares installed are:

      WIEN2k 13.1, ACML 5.3 ( we have tried with OpenBLAS v0.2.8-0 too) ,
GCC 4.9.0,

  the compiler options that have been used for compiling WIEN2k is as
bellow:

                Current settings:
                    O  Compiler options:                -ffree-form
-ffree-line-length-none -m64 -mfma4 -mavx2 -fopenmp -w
                    L  Linker Flags:                        $(FOPT)
-L/opt/acml5.3.1/gfortran64_
fma4_mp/lib
                    P  Preprocessor flags            '-DParallel'
                    R  R_LIB (LAPACK+BLAS):    -lacml_mp

I would appreciate if you can help me on finding and solving the problem.

kindly regards