[Wien] Effect of a finite nucleus on electron density at the nucleus

Amlan Ray amlan_ray2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 13:03:40 CET 2014

Dear Prof. Blaha,
I use WIEN2K code for calculating electron density at the nucleus to determine the change of electron capture nuclear decay rate in different environments. WIEN2K uses a point nucleus and I use the value of the electron density at the first mesh point as given by the code. I am interested to know the effect of the finite size of the nucleus on the electron density at the nucleus. Since Dirac wavefunction of s-electron becomes infinity at r=0 for a point nucleus, the effect of considering a finite nucleus could be significant for calculating the electron density at the nucleus.

I was wondering if the effect of a finite nucleus might be included in an upcoming version of WIEN2K. Please let me know if there is any such plan.

With best regards
Amlan Ray
Variable Energy Cyclotron Center
Kolkata, India