[Wien] How I can determine the equilibrium interlayer distance between bilayer graphene?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 27 07:41:42 CET 2014

Probably none of the methods.

The interlayer binding of graphele is maily due to van der Waals forces
and common GGA functionals do not provide any reasonable binding.

LDA is probably overbinding and a "weak" GGA (WC ?) may give you some
small binding. Even double minima may occur, ...

Ther's no explicit van der Waals functional in wien2k yet, but even then
the calculated dond distances and energies would have huge errors.

PS: The potential energy curve is probably VERY flat, so when you want
to use forces, you would have to converge them to an extremely small
value, because even with small forces you may be far away from the
correcponding GGA-minimum.